Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 5: Durbar Square

The two views from our roof top in Dhapasi.

Durbar Square.


The almighty Shivani...god of destruction (and like ALL things bad).



I FINALLY committed to doing my laundry and even though it was cold and cloudy. I washed all my clothes, BY HAND! After I had put all my clothes on the line, Anne made a really good point...if the sun didn't come out I wouldn't have any dry clothes at the end of the day. Ooops! I guess you live and you learn. *Side Note: The sun came out mid-morning, and it was beautiful weather all day. So, my clothes did end up drying quite nicely.*

Today was another PHENOMENAL day with Shivani. I had my language lesson, which I must admit Nepali is getting easier everyday. Then immediately following, Shivani and I grabbed a micro bus to "new" road, then I had the interesting experience of going to the "mall." I wanted Shivani to show me where she did her clothes shopping. The funniest thing about the mall, was in certain shops they had knock off American Eagle and Abercrombie&Fitch clothes. Also, they had t-shirts with writing on the front, though unfortunately whoever wrote on the shirt didn't have good enough english to spell correctly. Haha!

After the mall, Shivani and I had lunch then headed to Durbar square. Shivani explained to me that when Nepal had a king and a queen, Durbar square was where they lived. I took some pictures, but I don't think I quite captured the beauty of the wood work. The windows and door ways are so intricately carved, it is so beautiful. We then took a short walk from Durbar square to Thamel, where I was determined to find the perfect fingerless mitts. Which after about a half of an hour torturing Shivani, I found the pair I wanted. Simple, green and small enough for my hands. It was a successful shopping trip. The only downfall to being at Thamel so late, is we had a really hard time finding a bus back to Daphasi. Shavani and I ended up just going to Basandhara together and then I got to take a LOVELY walk up the hill to the Volunteer house. The weather was just so beautiful, with the sun out and setting, I just didn't want to even be inside.

Once, back at the volunteer house the usual evening ensued. Although I did sit on the roof and watch the sunset, which was incredible. Tomorrow, I hope to go the Banepa, where I would like to do my first placement. There is a children's hospital located there and I am very excited to go look at it. Until Then.

No comments:

Post a Comment