Sunday, February 28, 2010

Holi: The GREATEST Day EVER!!!!

Emma and Alicia

This picture of me is in the beginning....trust me it gets much worse :)
Emma (typical Brit, with her tea) and Alicia


I know I have explained in earlier blogs, that Holi is this HUGE water fight with anyone and everyone on the streets. Another thing that happens on Holi is people will run up and rub podwer paint on your face. Emma told me it was alot of fun, and I was alittle unsure but always game for a great time.



NOW! The day had arrived....I honestly was alittle hesitant to part take. I am the opposite of a competitive person, so throwing water at one another in game like fashion was alittle unnerving. Then the water throwing began! Intially, everyone in the house (Sam, Emma, Alicia, Santoshe, and I) were at war with the house across the street. Which sadly they kicked our butts, even though we had the height advantage of throwing water down on to them. Our neighbors below, had the man power (literally) and four guys with great aim, against one guy and four girls....you can kind of see how they won. During this time, there was also an internal war...Every man/woman for themselves. Water and paint were thrown back and forth between us on the balcony.



About an hour into battle with the neighbors, the kids from up the street (Papa's House kids) went running by signalling that we should head up to Michael's House to join the children for Holi. We quickly made it to Michael's and then TOTAL chaos insued! I mean everyone was running from everyone, around the HUGE backyard. Paint and water and laughter filled the air. It was a totally phenomenal experience. The best part about Holi is when you get someone (with water or paint) you yell out in a condescending voice "HAPPY HOLI!"



Oh my goodness! It was a GREAT time at Michael's house. The water throwing did stop at some point because Michael only allows them to use up so much water then they are finished (Good idea! Isn't there a water shortage?). Once all the water was gone, everyone just sat out in the sun and dried off. The children, especially the girls, are so sweet they just want to sit with you and be close. Many little girls will just come up and hold your hand or give you a hug. They are TOTAL dolls. After all the excitement, we were feeling tired and hungry. We mad the made dash back to the volunteer house. Which ofcourse made us a GREAT target for water throwing. Sam had went back before us, so we didn't have a key...and we are standing and waiting and waiting for Sam to come and let us in. I say "waiting and waiting" we probably waited 3 minutes, but in that time Sam lean out over the balcony and dumped a WHOLE bucket of water on me....then he came and opened the door. Ha ha ha! Happy Holi! Don't worry when he let us in I gave him a HUGE soaking wet hug :)



Lunch, tea and homemade popcorn...a few more water balloons and we were all feeling really tired. Us girls went up to the very highest rooftop (better to be safe than sorry) laid out blankets and basked in the sun. After a day of paint and RIDICULOUS amounts of water, napping and relaxing was the absolute BEST way to end the day.



I am posting a few of my photos from Holi, but Michael took some great ones at his house. So as soon as he emails the photos to me I will post them on my blog. That's all, until next time... HAPPY HOLI!

No comments:

Post a Comment