Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Flight to Nepal

My trip here was definitely blessed by the good will and prayers of the people who love me at home. I started in Detriot and connected in Washington DC, my flight from DC to London was delayed and I was quite worried because in London I had to go through immigration, get my luggage and check back in with Air India. Surprisingly, that all went smoothly and my flight out of London actually ended up being delayed as well so I wasn't in any hurry. It was quite funny though, I remember seeing a cute white guy waiting in line behind me and I thought "oooo, an American!" Then I looked at this clothes and said to myself "No, European..." Ironically, on my flight from London to India, the cute white guy, he sat next to me. It was so WONDERFUL, because he was German and he spoke PERFECT English. BTW! His name is Moritz, or Mo. Mo and I chatted most of the flight and I am currently trying to stalk him on Facebook, but there are 46 Moritz Werners on fbk!!! Who knew?
So here comes the weird part...I landed in India at like 4am, ugh! Once I got off the flight and into the airport, these men took me off on this secluded elevator up to the 3rd floor, and through all of these hallways, to the connection desk. The man who was helping me (looked more like a 14 year old boy in a suit) took my luggage information and then told me to wait. 30 minutes later he came back looked at my passport, wrote some things down and then told me to wait. Over an hour and a half later, this nice Indian man (who also spoke PERFECT English) came up to me and asked me what I was waiting for. I explained I still need my boarding pass. He looked shocked and then said we MUST go find a Jet Airways representative (this is the 3rd airline I was flying into Kathmandu). So, this WONDERful man hunted down and agent and demanded (in Hindu I assume) to get me may boarding pass. Not but 10-15 mintues later the same agent came back with my boarding pass, and the Indian man wished me good luck and I thanked him. Are you now seeing all the people who were angels to me on my flight to Nepal?
I got to my gate, and waited some more, only to find out that my flight AGAIN was delayed. I decided to go for a walk and get a drink. 20 mintues later I went back to my gate and sat down to write in my journal when I noticed that I didn't recognized anyone I was sitting by. That is when I realized my flight was boarding...HOLY shit! I almost missed my flight to Kathmandu.
Once on the flight to Kathmandu, I relaxed and actually fell asleep. Only to be awakened to my neighbor nudging me, I was annoyed only momentarily until he pointed out Mount Everest in the window across the aisle. Now that I was awake, my neighbor (this really sweet Nepali man), was explaining to me in his broken English that he lived in Dubai and was coming home for the first time in 2 years. What a neat story?
Landing in Kathmandu, was uneventful as was going through immigration and getting my visa. But once out of the airport I was expecting to meet Emma (the British woman running Volunteer Nepal). To my surprise she wasn't there, which of course the taxi drivers came up to me in full force trying to sell me a ride. Finally, some stranger asked me if I had a contact number and insisted he call Emma. Emma explained Shivani was there to meet me. Moments later, Shivani and I met up and got into a taxi. Thank goodness for Shivani! She is Nepali and knows how to negotiate a taxi.
Just when you think the excitment is over, the cab ride was wild...as to be expected. But I evidently recieved an extra special taxi ride, because there was a strike going on due to a young man was hit by a bus and killed. Some of the roads were blocked off because of the strike, so the taxi kept going up one street and having to turn around and go down another street. Finally, Shivani and I made it to the Volunteer house and that is the end of my 30 plus hours of travel.
I was finally in Nepal. The relief I felt was immense and I was exhausted. After meeting the other volunteers and having a tour of the house, that was my first day in Nepal.
Until Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment